Stergiakis the hero as Rovers draw with Tottenham


Antonis Stergiakis’ penalty save in added time capped off an entertaining affair in Leyland on Friday night.

Goals from Harvey John and Harvey White gave Tottenham a two-goal lead within thirty minutes, but a free kick from Bradley Johnson and a Connor McBride penalty levelled the scores, before Tobi Omole scored before the break.

After the interval, an own goal put Rovers level before Lenni Cirino was dismissed in injury time for handball on the line, but Stergiakis was on hand to push away White’s effort from the penalty spot to secure a point for Mike Sheron’s side.

Rovers started the stronger of the two sides, but it was the visitors who took the lead after 14 minutes as John fired low and hard across Stergiakis and into the corner.

We are proudly partnered with Use code RoversChat for 10% off

Spurs doubled their lead after 27 minutes as White rose well to head home as the visitors looked in control.

However, Rovers hit back strongly as Bradley Johnson – making his return from injury – struck low from a free-kick to fire past the Spurs ‘keeper.

Mike Sheron’s side were level three minutes before half time as the referee pointed to the spot following a poor foul on George Pratt, and McBride stepped up to drill the penalty home.

However, the visitors still had chance to restore their lead before the break as Omole tapped home to put Spurs ahead at the break.

Rovers came out strongly after the interval, with Jared Harlock striking from distance, but Joshua Oluwayemi was equal to the effort.

And they got their reward on 68 minutes as Adam Wharton’s shot was palmed back into play and the ball richoted off Malachi Fagan-Walcott and into the goal.

Both sides had chances to take the lead, and the golden chance fell to Spurs in injury time.

Lenni Cirino handled Markhanday’s goalbound shot on the line, with the referee pointing to the spot, and up stepped White, but he was denied by a strong hand from Stergiakis.

Rovers almost nicked the game themselves at the end as he struck goalwards, and was only denied by the post.

It was a very entertaining affair that both sides could have won, and a point was probably fair on the night.

The U23s return to action this afternoon as they host Accrington Stanley in the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Rovers U23s: Stergiakis, Ferguson, Phillips, Pratt, Cirino, Brennan, Burns, Durrant (Gilsenan 71′), Harlock (Edmondson 65′), Johnson (Wharton 45′), McBride

Subs Not Used: Eastham, Gamble

Related Posts
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *